Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Blog 4

Throughout Marley & Me, John Grogan shows that he has quite a talent for literary techniques. His use of imagery made me feel like I was there. For example,
"He[Marley] would spot a rabbit munching the lettuce and barrel off down the hill in hot pursuit, ears flapping behind him, paws pounding the ground, his bark filling the air".(Grogan, 219).
Not only does he use imagery, Grogan used oxymorons and metaphors:
"He was as stealthy as a marching band".(Grogan, 219)
John Grogan's use of literary terms really help readers feel a part of the story, like they were there. I know that sometimes I would get so sucked into the book, I would forget about everything around me. The descriptions that Grogan used were not boring or dry, they were smooth and exiting, it was almost as if the book was a movie playing in my head. I think that other authors need to take a leaf out of John Grogan's book, and use a wide variety of literary techniques in a fun way, like he does.

No comments: