Wednesday, March 4, 2009

5. Religion


A few years ago, when I was in Colorado with my church, we went to this camp. There was another church there from Atlanta, Georgia. As it was a sunny, summer day, I decided to wear my beloved Harry Potter hat (after reading the books about 15 times each, I am a bit of a nut). Everyone was divided up into groups and told about an activity that they had to do. As soon as we started, the adult (from the other church) in our group turned top me and demanded that I remove my hat. Instinctivly, I asked why. I was extremely suprised by the answer. " Because witchcraft is the work of the DEVIL!!". I stared at him in disbelief, but took my hat off all the same. I was fine with him having his own opinions, but he should not have brought me into it. I would completly understand if I had been wearing something offensive, but really! Harry Potter? It was his belief that Harry Potter was the work of the devil, and I am certain there are thousands more people who believe the same thing. Thankfully, we all have different religions and beliefs. Religion makes us each unique and helps people cope with what goes on. But I think that one's religion should not keep someone else from wearing something that they like from a book.

1 comment:

J15 said...

Yeah cool!!! i like Harry potter