Wednesday, March 4, 2009

4. Gender Roles

I babysit this little four year old girl, she loves Disney princesses, as alomost all four year old girls do. Anyway, whenever I babysit, I bring over something of my own to share. This time I brought over the Disney classic, "Sleeping Beauty". You all know the story with Princess Aurora who touches the spinning wheel and falls into a deep sleep. As I was sitting there, watching, I thought about how so many movies and books follow the same story line. Girl falls in love with guy, girl gets into mortal danger, guy saves her, they live happily ever after. Some might say that the reason that all these Disney movies have the same theme, is because they were made a long time ago, when women were viewed as weaker than men. But the truth is, movies and books today still have that theme. What will it take to have the women saving the men? I realize that there is the occasional flick that shows the girl saving the guy, but really, there is a definite need for more. I think that, subconsiously, people are getting the wrong idea about women, and that they need to be saved. Women are strong! And they can do anything men can!

No comments: